Kharl has a problem with his XY8

Moderators: risky, Maarten Deen, Gilletti

Kharl has a problem with his XY8

Berichtdoor Rudie_Krämer » 24 aug 2011, 07:39

Former messages:

Sorry for the english comment!

i have an xy8 engine and i need help with the Vacuum timing advance, i have problem connecting the hoses,
if Mr "Rudie_Krämer" could help me with this (i tried contacting him by private message but it seems im not allowed to do that) i would be very thankful

Next one"

I got your answer Mr "Rudie_Krämer"

mm.. i have a 205 with XY8, in 205 forums they cant help me because the dont know much about it, everything is ok but when my questions are about the engine, they dont like to answer me because my weird engine (but i love it), so that is why i ended here i tried finding some 104 forum in spanish but i find your project on internet and i appreciate the experience you have with the 104s

http://www.upl.co/uploads/Mi-motorcito-2.jpg
http://www.upl.co/uploads/Mi-motorcito-3.jpg

now i know the vacuum pipe for advancing the timing is in the carburetor(previously was connected to a pipe located at the inlet manifold, and due the strong and permanent vacuum generated there the membrane of the timing advance capsule is broken), but i have a pipe locate in the intake that if i block it the engine stalls and i wanted to know if have you also have experience with an XW7 since my XY8 has the intake and the tinny carburetor from an XW7 (im not getting the whole power from my xy8 ) since i had no choice to find the right one on my country.

and id like to know if you can help me to determine why if i tap this pipe the engine stalls
http://www.upl.co/uploads/CIMG1203.jpg

i suspect of this is deffective or maybe clogged:
http://www.upl.co/uploads/solex13-86.jpg
Rudie_Krämer

Re: Kharl has a problem with his XY8

Berichtdoor Rudie_Krämer » 24 aug 2011, 07:48

Hi Kharl

The vacuum connection on your manifold if for the power braking, the vacuum for your ingnition advancing should come from your carburator.

The problem is I think that your XY8 with an XW7 carburettor (1124cc) will not run OK.

Blocking the connection tube should not stall your engine.

Did this engine ever run OK with this configuration?

If not I think you have to start with the right carburator ( does your ingition system come from the XY8 or is this also from the XW7?)

Greetings Rudie

( I will try to help you as good as I can, I have a lot of experience with these engines)
Rudie_Krämer

Berichtdoor kharl » 24 aug 2011, 23:39

Thank you very much Rudie_Krämer! you are very kind!

Well i originally had this car with the XW7 engine, but i had to go abroad and i left the car in the house of a "friend" and when i came back i suspect he used my car to participate in some sort of Paris-Dakar rally, because i found the car with the engine block in two halves (don't ask me how) the engine block was broke as if were made of glass with a huge crack from the head gasket to the bottom of the block.
The problem is that i wanted the same engine and i had no luck until 4 months later i found a the same engine but bigger and almost twice the power and with 5 speeds, the XY8!, i found that engine and the guy who had it told me that the engine was sitting there for more than 15years, who else could use that engine since this car is more weird than a ferrari in this country, so i got an only 4 years of use XY8 engine... (but with unknown mileage), but had the intake, carburetor and the ignition missing, then yes i also have the distributor from the XW7. Also i had to use the exhaust from the XW7 since the one that came with the XY8 was BIG and the mechanics wanted to modify the linkage of the transmission and that scare me, im not rich neither full of experience in cars (is my first car) but i appreciate classic small cars and this is one is one of my child-dream cars (there is one left to get :D ), and I wanted to conserve it as original and functional as possible, so we tried with the XW7 exhaust manifold and then the engine could fit.

I thought the engine was running ok (3 years of heavy use and no mayor problems), you wonder how the car behaves with the XY8 with XW7 parts..., well, even with 3 years since i did this "upgrade" i can compare that the engine is a LOT more powerful than the xw7 even with the XW7 pieces, but i always fell like there is more power to get (obvious).

But i was happy with the mileage, those years i was using the car for highways driving, the car was giving me some impressive 70km per gallons or (5.39L / 100km)
(I with the carburetor incorrectly adjusted, one of the rear wheel lightly blocked (that in fact, the handbrake cable for that wheel broke today) and the gasoline tank filler neck not holding the fuel cap firmly AND no thermostat (I had to put a bag in front of the radiator to prevent using the engine too cold at high speeds) (What mileage would I get if I fix all those things?).

Just before to write this I had to make a short trip and when I arrive my house I decide to get a look again to the engine, you remember I told you the engine stops when I block this:
Afbeelding
Well, I tried increasing the idle speed until getting it running with that pipe blocked and I got it, the problem can be resumed as follow; the engine idle speed was normal for the unblocked intake’s pipe but too low for running with the pipe blocked, since the pipe was allowing air to enter, I needed to enrich the mixture to compensate.

Now that I was able to block that pipe I had to close the mixture screw for about a whole turn, then readjust the idle to 950+/-25… what should my gas mileage be now? I can’t wait to use the car tomorrow lol…

You told me that pipe is for the braking power, my braking power is connected here:
Afbeelding
Should i remove it to plug it where you says?

Even the car feels great now, the acceleration is smoother than ever...,
there is two things pending;
1-To get the vacuum advance unit, I forget to tell you; the strong and permanent vacuum of the inlet’s pipe, seems to have broken the membrane in the advance unit, I say that because I can "breathe through it"
2-readjust timing.

But since I cant find the device…
for awhile i blocked the pipe in the carburetor where the advancing unit must be connected (yellow arrow)
Afbeelding
and to readjust a little the timing (I feel is a little retarded)

What do you think about all this?

(You can’t imagine how I appreciate you to spend time reading about my problem, I haven’t found NOBODY with the experience you have in these engines.)
kharl

Berichtdoor Rudie_Krämer » 27 sep 2011, 20:29

Hi Kharl,

I did not get a topic notification so only now I red your story.

I think my answer will be simple, the XY8 (1360cc) has so much more power than the XW7 ( 1124cc) that with a carburator of the XW7 the engine will not run as it should (It is simply too small :!: ).
It is crying for more petrol and you are not giving it to her and she will keep on negging for more :lol:
What I think is that the engine sucks so much air causing a high vacuum in the carburattor making the mixture far too rich, the opening of the vacuumhose connection gives a little bit aircorrection. But this is not the way to get the engine running OK. You need a bigger carburattor, at least one of the XY7 ( Peugeot 205, 1360cc with a single carburator) or better, the original double carburettor of the XY8.
Than the ignition will be the next problem, if the engine gets enough air/fuel the ignition becomes critical :x

The exhaust now is not the problem, because you don't have so much power. On the single carburettor of the XY7 I think you can leave it, but for the full 80hp you need a bigger exhaust and outlet manifold. You can use the one of a XY7 but than you have to modify the 205 frontpipe to make it fit on a 104 exhaust.

Probably for you these repairs won't be easy, but I can't make the story better :lol:

Greetings Rudie
Rudie_Krämer

Keer terug naar 104