Samba gear change

Moderators: risky, Maarten Deen, Gilletti

Samba gear change

Berichtdoor mmarks » 12 aug 2006, 17:04

Thanks for the help on the speedo cable. I went to the breakers mentioned and sure enough they had a Samba Cabrio in the far corner.
I needed the car lifted to get the speedo cable so am going back on Monday morning.

I did, however, pick up a few other bits.

My gear change was VERY sloppy, the lever would move almost to the opposite side of the car between gears so I thought the problem was the bush on the base of the gear lever, operating the top rod.
I got the gear lever from the breakers, but on removing mine, I found the rubber bush was fine.

when I went to look further, the entire top rod was very loose and in fact not connected to anything (maybe moving the lever disconnected it).

I looked in my Samba Haynes manual and there is no information on the fitment of these gear linkage rods, just a paragraph about fitting a spring if it is not already fitted.

If anyone can explain how the linkages and rods fit together so my gear stick is attached to my gearbox I would be very grateful!!!

Mike
mmarks

Berichtdoor M. van der Meulen » 12 aug 2006, 17:57

@Mike,

This is the way all connections are fitted on Peugeot vehicals with BH3-type gearboxes, the ones with a single gearshift are connected to the BH2-type gearboxes. There should be a small rectangular aluminium label on the lefthandside rear end of the differential close to the driveshaft. Without the exact data, serial- and productionnumbers of the carfactory it is hard to say, besides I am not all that familiar with Talbot and don't have any manuals or workshop handbooks on them.

[img][img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/spijker5/schakelarmen.jpg[/img][/img]

Connections 3 and 8 are adjustable for a correct gearchange and neutral-position of the gearstick. Rods nr 6 and 2 are connected to a lever and a balljoint mounted on the steeringrod, when incorrectly fitted they produce a very sloppy gearchange only getting worse with time. I think you should look first for the exact data or perhaps ad some pictures of the engine and gearbox to make things easier. Good luck, M.
104 SL 06-'78
104 S 08-'79
307 SW Société 2.0 HDi 11-'04
Ami Super Break 03-'73
M. van der Meulen

sloppy gearchange

Berichtdoor Rudie_Krämer » 12 aug 2006, 18:29

The connection of 2 and 3 to the subframe and to the gearbox are likely to be the problem. The small connectionrod has a self locking-nut and a spacial ring. Sometimes this nut is loose or the ring is not of the right type. The same is it with te the bolt with the ball on it that connects the rod nr 6. The nut shood be tightened ( from beneath the car the U-shaped bar that holds the steering rack.

Lot of talk but I dont have pictures as M.
I also dont have an englisch dictionary and my technical english is everything but perfect.

Advise: Put your car up at the front, crawl under it ( again?!) and let a second person do the shifting, you will see which joint will be the problem.
First try to tighten the rod nr 2 ( easier to reach)

Good luck Rudie
Rudie_Krämer

Berichtdoor M. van der Meulen » 12 aug 2006, 20:42

Potverdomme, waar heeft die man z'n inburgeringsexamen gedaan! Of zou Rita toch nog een zacht plekje op haar ziel hebben..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
104 SL 06-'78
104 S 08-'79
Ami Super Break 03-'73
M. van der Meulen

Berichtdoor M. van der Meulen » 12 aug 2006, 21:14

@Mike

I discovered some additional information concerning gearboxes.
[img][img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/spijker5/schfoto.jpg[/img][/img]
104 SL 06-'78
104 S 08-'79
Ami Super Break 03-'73
M. van der Meulen

Keer terug naar 104